Translate

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Somewhere over the rainbow...

I think there is something truly magical about rainbows. I won't be taken to tears like the youtube sensation "double rainbow guy" (if you haven't seen it, look it up: "Yosemitebear magic giant rainbow"), but they have taken my breath away. I have no idea what it is exactly, maybe that after it rains something beautiful emerges, or maybe it's my child-like naivety appearing. Either way, I think they are ahh-mazing. That said, if you have something better to do than learn about this "optical and meteorological phenomenon", I would suggest you stop reading now.


July 4th weekend, I found myself driving down the road through a rainstorm, only to come through the other side and see a rainbow. I literally almost crashed as I stared, mouth agape, at the colored arch. My half asleep boyfriend next to me didn't even budge, nor did he acknowledge my attempt at whispered shouts of "OHMYGOSH...LOOK!!!" Finally, after the rainbow had completely disappeared, he woke up, and ruined all my rainbow fun by informing me about the scientific explanation behind them. Talk about a rainbow-scrooge.

There are many kinds of rainbows, seen based on different refraction of light off water droplets. Similarly, there are many different cultural and religious beliefs associated with rainbows. "A rainbow a day keeps the blues away" and many other mantras have been formed speaking about their magic or healthy qualities. Whatever you choose to believe is up to you. For me, a rainbow is just another way of nature reminding us to pause for a second. Like Ferris Bueller said "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Anyone who is still reading this clearly has NOTHING better to do with their lives than procrastinate via reading the-life-and-times of me. Thanks anyways :)

No comments:

Post a Comment